Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Monday, August 1, 2011

Like a Skyscraper

When I heard this song for the first time a few days ago, i was taken away. My heart flew with the lyrics.

When I was in late elementary school and all through middle school I was told how ugly I was.

"There is the Orchid Man!"
"She's so fat!"
"Her hair is so frizzy."
"She's so hairy!"

So mom didn't let me shave my legs until I was in late 5th grade after begging. She didn't let me use makeup or pluck my eye brows. She didn't teach me

My entire life I lived in a family that believed in beauty and money.

"No Orchid, don't wear your glasses."
" No Orchid don't leave your hair curly straighten it."
"No Orchid you must become a doctor to have lots of money."

Summer before eighth grade I spend 10 days in the hospital. Shortly after 9 grade I spend 8 days in the hospital. That december I move to Miami. 3 high schools later and I end up at my 4th in powder springs, ga

I moved to a new school my junior year of high school. I made friends with good people. I made friends with everyone. I lost the ugly names... I wasn't "Orchid Man" anymore. Then senior year, one of the most popular girls in our school befriended me. She was just my friend outside of school . She took me home after school. One day she invited me to dinner, I was amazed she wasn't embarrassed to be seen with me.

Is it weird hearing Orchid say strange things.... well every girl wants to be popular in high school,  I was in the running for FRIENDLIEST though...

Anyways, I was introduced to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. What changed my life.

A lot of time I'm afraid of talking about my conversion because I don't want to be that "convert" that acts like she's better than all of those life longers etc. But I didn't realize what my conversion did. I have been so reminded of the the change of my life.

I could've been somewhere without God, I could've been broken, but through all the trials and tribulations I have been through I rose above it.

All those words that hurt me all my life: Heavenly father saved me.


You can take everything I have,
You can break everything I am,
Like I'm made of glass,
Like I'm made of paper.
Go on and try to tear me down.
I will be rising from the ground,
Like a skyscraper,
Like a skyscraper.



This is not a post to make anyone feel bad for me, a post to tell them whatever they are going thorough, they can rise above it, like a skyscraper.




Like a Skyscraper
I am like a skyscraper 

5 comments:

  1. I love this post Orchid, it's beautiful because it's so honest and genuine. I can't believe anyone called you ugly!!! When you guys first moved in to the ward I remember hearing two things about you over and over: "Oh, she's SO nice!" and "That girl is so pretty!" I love this post because it's so true: life is hard sometimes, but it's always for our good. Thanks for posting! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think this post is so down to earth. Orchid I am so proud of you. What a good lesson for all of us to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Orchid!!! I have not told you yet... but I am moving to Pocatello!!!!!! So I will see you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orchid, you are one of the best this world has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orchid, thank you so much for posting this! When I first met you, all I could think about was how beautiful you are. Absolutely stunning! You are beautiful on the inside too. You are an absolute gem. I love your honesty. Love you!

    ReplyDelete